11/20/11 – The Widow's Oil Topics:
- God loves our faith. He loves it because it is our act of trust, love and dependence on Him. Hebrews 11:6 says without faith it is impossible to please Him.
- God will regularly bring situations into our lives that will require faith. As Christians we will have to get good at taking steps of faith.
- Obeying what God has told us to do, when it seems like it will only be detrimental to us.
- Trusting that He is loving even when our circumstances are tough.
- Trusting that He is still working when things are taking too long.
- Reaching out and meeting a need or sharing our faith.
- Faith steps always come before the return.
- This story is a picture of Jesus: He poured out His blood to pay our debt and save us from slavery. He applies that to us, in response to our faith.
- Put your self in the widow’s place, how would your enthusiasm for jar collecting have shifted before you started pouring the oil - to after you saw the jars starting to fill up?
- How do you think the widow felt when she asked for another jar and they were all gone?
- Why do you think the scripture intentionally does not tell us how many jars she collected?
- What does this story tell us about how God provides?
- Read Hebrews 11:6. Why do you think God loves when we have faith?
- What is the difference between taking a step of faith and trusting God and taking a risk and expecting God to bail us out?
- [One is clearly initiated by God and is a step of obedience. The other is something we initiate and expect God to work how we want.]
- What are various types of faith steps that God calls Christians to?
- Can anyone share a time when God called you to take a big faith step?
- Since we know that God is going to regularly bring us opportunities to display our faith, what are some good faith habits we can get into?
- What is a faith step that God is calling you to right now?
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.