Sermon Title: First Things First
Main Text: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
- We need to be reminded of the Gospel daily.
- As Christians, sometimes we tune out the Gospel. It’s not new news. But we need to be reminded of it and think about it daily to fully understand it’s power.
- We often make other things more important than the Gospel in our lives.
- The irony is when the Gospel truly starts to change us, most of those other good things are a result of the inside-out change the Gospel brings.
- The Gospel is for believers to stand in daily, not just the foundational thing we need to understand to become a Chrsitian.
- As we interact with ideas on a regular basis, they start to change the way we think and act.
- The Gospel changes us from the inside out rather than religion, which we try to change us from the outside in.
- Tim Keller - The Gospel is not just the ABCs of our faith, but the A-to-Z of our faith.
- The one thing we need to focus on in 2012 more than anything else is the Gospel - Jesus’ death and resurrection for our salvation.
- What ideas or concepts have change the way you think?
- What is something you try to remind yourself of regularly?
- Out of all of the things we can make the most important in our lives, which ones do you tend to make more important than the Gospel?
- Why do you think we forget that we should focus on the Gospel first rather than these other things?
- Why do you think we try to change ourselves first rather than focus on Jesus first and allow Him to change us?
- How does focusing on the Gospel let Jesus change you? How do you actually do that?
- What is the difference between focusing on the Gospel to let Jesus change you from the inside out and sitting on your hands, not trying to change anything?
- What about the Gospel struck you differently this time you heard it?
- How does knowing that Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection were “according to the scriptures” impact the way you think about it?
- What are some ways you can focus on the Gospel in your day?
- How can the Gospel change the way you view those who are closest to you in your life?
- How has the Gospel changed the way you think this week?
- Out of the benefits of dwelling on the Gospel, which is most amazing to you? (forgiveness, identity, generosity, etc)
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.