Tip of the Week:
Please share whichever of the following announcements apply to your group:
- Starting 2/12/12 we will have 2 services every Sunday
- Services will be at 9:45 and 11:30
- Both Services will be exactly the same
- Kids Ministry will be provided at both services
- Please help us fill some of those extra seats
- Discuss Mission Trips
- Mission Trips
- Haiti, Guatemala, and Burkina Faso, Africa
- Pull out Insert
- Prices on the front, FAQ’s on the back
- Price includes everything – airfare, accommodations, meals, ground transportation
- Life changing experience
- See God working in a different culture and country
- Mission Trips
Sermon Title: Boundaries
Main Text: Ephesians 6:4
- Big Macs are awesome!
- The Sticky Pad is a modern engineering marvel
- Potatoes are vegetables, especially when fried in vegetable oil
- Paul is talking to both parents in this passage
- In Paul’s day fathers set unrealistic boundaries for their families
- When he references provoking your children to anger he is talking specifically about not setting unrealistic boundaries for them leading them to frustration, anger and resentment
- Paul challenges us to bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the lord which means we must set realistic boundaries and then make sure our children adhere to them
- Our parental responsibility is to:
- Carefully set boundaries
- Clearly communicate the boundaries and consequences for not honoring them
- Consistently discipline appropriately when boundaries are breached
- Unfair and inconsistent boundaries lead to frustrated and rebellious children
- Unclear boundaries and lack of accountability lead to disaster
- Sticky pad boundaries include not placing a top heavy object on them
- The principle of boundaries should be in use in all parts of our life, not just our parenting
- We must teach our kids:
- How to set them
- How to honor them
- How to return to them when we find ourselves out of bounds
- It is never too late to start
- Setting boundaries begin with scripture and prayer
- Can you recite the Big Mac jingle from memory?
- How many of you had a big mac since Sunday?
- How many of you wish you had a sticky pad?
- Talk about your parenting journey as it relates to this passage.
- Were you surprised to find out how the role of a Father in Paul’s day was defined?
- What are some boundaries in place in your family?
- What are some of the consequences you put in place for breaking boundaries?
- What are some parenting boundaries that you found were unfair?
- Think about a time in your personal life where poor boundaries resulted in a bad situation.
- What are some of the personal boundaries you have set that need to be redefined?
- What are some new boundaries that need to be put in place?
- Who helps you set boundaries in your life?
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.