Weekly Training Tip
This week we're focusing on a few of the essentials for leading Community Group.
Here's the video:
[vimeo 90453853 w=500 h=281]
- This summer our Student Ministry is hosting a Mission Camp June 23-27.
- Students - registration is open and spots will go fast, so sign up early and make the most of the early bird discounts.
- Everyone else - we have lots of opportunities to get involved. Check out the insert in your bulletin for more details and how to sign up.
Easter Service Times
- Easter is just 3 weeks away!
- We’re planning special Good Friday services on that Friday, April 18th at 6:30 and 8PM.
- We’re also planning 3 identical services for Easter Sunday this year at 9, 10:30 and 12.
- Wait, scratch that. You only heard me say 9 and Noon on Easter Sunday. Of course you guys wouldn’t go to the 10:30 service because that is the service we’re making extra room for all of the new families that will join us that weekend. You wouldn’t take their seat, I know that.
- So on Easter, I’ll see you at 9AM or Noon. Great. Glad we settled that.
Sermon Title: Fear The Moth, Part 1: Killer Moths
Main Texts: Matthew 6:19-20, Matthew 19:27-29
In this section Jesus talks about storing our treasure. He is really talking about wise investing.
He gives us two options of where we can invest our treasure. We can invest it in Heaven or on earth. What does He mean by this?
First, what does He mean by treasures? Our treasures can be any resource that we have:
Jesus tells us to not lay up our treasures on earth but in heaven. What would it look like to lay up treasures on earth but not heaven? Anything that only has value in this life, is an earthly investment.
Jesus warns us that those things are easily destructible.
things go out of style
things break, rip, get worn out, get stained,
things can get stolen
The problem for us is that we don’t FEAR THE MOTH. We forget how impermanent our things are. We can start thinking that buying the next ______, is what we want to get happiness. But the more we think about the next thing, the more we are discontent with what we have. Part of the problem of constantly going after earthly stuff is it leads to a cycle of discontentment.
Jesus tells us to invest in Heaven. He tells us to invest in the things He cares about. He tells us to give back to Him.
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: What is an irrational fear you have?
- READ: Matthew 6:19-20
- What are the various things that can be included under the label of our treasures?
- What does it look like to invest our treasures on earth?
- Jesus says that moths and rust and thieves try to get at our stuff. What are ways our earthly stuff deteriorates over time?
- How does investing in earthly stuff, in the end consume us?
- How does investing in earthly stuff, in the end make us frustrated and discontent?
- What are the various ways we can invest our stuff in Heaven and eternity?
- Why is that hard to do?
- When was a time you took a step of faith and invested in God’s Kingdom? What was the result?
- What are practical steps we can take, to realign where we invest?
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.