- Looking forward to another great week of community groups! Make it a habit of inviting someone new to your group every week. The numbers game will begin to work !! And once they are there, make sure you document it by posting your attendance !! :)
[vimeo 119472456 w=500 h=281]
- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post your attendance every week, and make sure your roster is complete with all attendees.
- Consider posting the discussion questions to your group ahead of time, so improve discussion.
Men’s & Women’s Groups Startied Last Week but you can still get involved
- Men - we’ll be studying Judges for You by one of our favorites: Tim Keller. That will be every Monday night at 7 for the next 5 weeks.Ladies - you’ll be studying Gideon by Priscilla Schrier. And ladies, you have two opportunities for the study: Wednesdays at 10AM or 7PM.
- You can find more information about those studies in the bulletin.
- If you haven’t been baptized yet, we would love to celebrate your baptism on Sunday, February 22nd. We have 2 baptism classes coming up: first on Thursday, February 19th and then we’ll have a special kids baptism class on Sunday, February 15th immediately following the 2nd service.
- If you’re interested, let Pastor Dan know and plan on attending the Baptism Class.
Sermon Title: Wired for Rest
Main Text: Genesis 2:1-4, Genesis 1:3-31, Romans 12:2, Eph 4:23, Matt. 11:28, Eccl 3:1-2,5-8
- God committed 3 verses in the story of creation to the idea of rest. That should give us some idea about the importance of this concept.
- Busyness robs us of the most important things in life
- God did not put this part in the story because he needed rest:
- He is God - he does not need rest
- He spoke and things happened - he had no reason to be tired
- He was modeling something that was apparently very important for us to understand
- What is Sabbath?
- 1 Day out of 7
- It is a time for feasting, resting, worship, play
- It is a form of mending
- It is not recreation or vacation
- It is different from any other time
- it is betrothed to us by God
- we perceive it, receive it and approach it differently
- we are thankful for it
- we are protective of it
- We become ourselves in it
- more vulnerable
- less afraid
- ready to confess, be silent, be vulnerable, be small
- We acheive sabbath by changing our minds and creating a sabbath heart
- Wired to rest which is not the same as recreation
- Wired for rhythm
- Wired to rely on God
- To create Sabbath we have to:
- Plan for Sabbath
- Prepare our Minds
- Trust God
- Inability to rest is not a badge of honor, it is a badge of sin
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: When was the busiest time of your life?
- READ: Genesis 2:1-3
- When do you find yourself most tired?
- Where do you find it easiest to find rest?
- What is your biggest source of “busyness”?
- Why does busyness kill our hearts?
- What does it look like when we neglect to make time for a Sabbath?
- What is something you wish you would have taken time to appreciate more at the time it happened?
- When is your sabbath day supposed to be?
- Which part of Sabbath do you find the hardest to create - feasting, worshipping, resting, playing?
- What kinds of things have you mistaken for Sabbath in the past?
- Why is Sabbath so important?
- Why is it so hard to rely on God by making time for a Sabbath?
- What steps would be required to create a day of sabbath in your life?
- What immediate benefits do you see from having a day of rest each week?
- What will you do today to create a rhythm of true rest in your life?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Don't forget to post your attendance after group.