- Looking forward to another great week of community groups! Make it a habit of inviting someone new to your group every week. The numbers game will begin to work !! Take this week to stress making Community Groups a priority in our schedules. God uses each of us in different ways, and something we share in group can be used to truly bless and help someone else in the group.
- Paste the link to the sermon player in your weekly invite. Makes it convenient for those who may have missed the teaching
[vimeo 120297143 w=500 h=281]
- March 15th is our Family Dedication Celebration. That is where parents can present their child before the church and commit to raising their child in a home that knows and loves Jesus. It’s an awesome opportunity for parents of young kids to commit to teaching their children about Jesus. If you want more information, just write “Family Dedication” on the back of your Connection Card or stop by the Guest Services desk in the Kids Ministry.
- This coming Saturday is Run for Compassion 5K at John Lloyd State Park in Hollywood. Race begins at 9am. More More info and registration at www.runforcompassionsfl.com
Sermon Title: Wired in His Image
Main Text: Genesis 1:24-31
- The pattern in the creation narrative changes when it comes to the creation of man.
-Animals, trees, and plants are created “according to their kinds.”
-Humans are created in the image of God.
- To be made in the image of God means that man is distinctly made by God, like God, and to represent God.
- Human beings have a greater worth and value than the rest of creation.
- Although we are not God, we are like God in our personhood and our moral, mental, spiritual, and relational capacities.
- We are representatives of God who are called upon to steward His creation and build societies where humanity can flourish.
- Three Implications of us being wired in His image
- 1) Every human life matters
- 2) Where the image of God is honored, humanity flourishes, but where the image of God is distorted, humanity suffers.
- Murder, abuse, racism, pornography, abortion, and a host of other sins against others are a product of the distortion of the image of God in every human life.
- 3) We must repent of our apathy and get in the fight.
- The problem is not so much that we’re losing the battle, it’s more that we’re not even in the fight.
- Repentance means we change our mind about our indifference towards these issues and ask God to stir us to change.
- How do we get in the fight:
- We pray
- We engage - our time, our wallets, our ballots
- It’s not about politics. It’s about life.
- We leverage our influence to make a difference
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: What is the most remarkable feat or trick that you’ve ever seen a pet do?
- READ: Genesis 1:24-31
- In what ways are humans different and set apart from the rest of creation?
- What does it mean that we are wired in the image of God?
- In what ways are humans like God?
- In what ways are humans to represent God
- How does a right understanding of the image of God shape the way we treat people of different race, age, gender, culture, and socioeconomic status?
- How does a right understanding of the image of God change the way we view ourselves and our identity?
- What are some examples of how the distortion of the image of God causes humanity to suffer?
- In light of the cross of Jesus, where forgiveness and grace is greater than any sin, how do we engage these issues? How do we strike the balance between boldly opposing that which is wrong, and lovingly extending grace and forgiveness?
- What are the reasons for our silence, indifference, and apathy when it comes to these issues?
- What are some tangible ways that we can get in the fight and stand for the value and dignity of every human life?
- How might God redeem your own sin and failure, to make a difference in the lives of others?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Don't forget to post your attendance after group.