- Let's actively begin recruiting new people to plug in to community groups, so we can make more Mathetes. Inviting 2 new people to your group means the potential to make 32 new Mathetes between all our current groups!
Sermon Title: Humanity Hardwired, Part 6: Wired for Companionship
Main Text: Genesis 2:15-22
- God looks at Adam, who is alone in the world. And he said something remarkable. All along in the story of creation in Genesis 1 and 2, God continuously looks at what he has made and says it is good. After he makes humans, he looks at all of his creation, and he says that it is “very good.” But then he sees something that he says is “not good.”
- He sees Adam working alone in the garden. No doubt he was fulfilled. The garden was not rebelling against him. There were no thorns and thistles. He woke up every day to total fulfillment and joy at the task at hand. He worked in Eden, which means something like “luxurious bliss.” But something was missing.
- God looked and said, “it is not good that the man should be alone.”
- God made Eve. And the command is then given for them to multiply and fill the earth.
- Here is what this means: God wired us for companionship.
- We often don’t believe that. In many ways we operate as if we don’t need people:
- We don’t build time into our life to develop friendships.
- We sometimes actually think we’d be better off alone.
- We think of fulfillment exclusively in terms of our work and not our relationships.
- We don’t work to cultivate relationships.
- We don’t risk to make relationships.
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: When are times you most feel like being alone?
- READ: Genesis 2:15-22
- What are some things that jump out at you from this passage?
- Reread Verse 18. What are reasons it is significant that this is the first thing God has said is “not good”?
- What does it look like when we operate as if we do not need companionship in our lives?
- Do you think there are difficulties that are unique to guy friendships and girl friendships?
- What are signs in someone’s life that they do not have friendships or don’t have healthy ones?
- What is the risk in pursuing friendships?
- Why are healthy relationships absolutely essential for our lives?
- What are things that consume our time, that could be reprioritized to investing in healthy friendships?
- What are some things that are required maintain and grow a friendship?
- What are the key qualities you look for in a friend?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Don't forget to post your attendance after group.