Encourage every one in your group to contact those who missed group. Let them know they were missed, and group is not the same without them !
[vimeo 126045013 w=500 h=281]
Murder in the Garden, Part 4: The Temptation
Main Text: Genesis 3:1-6, 1 John 2:15-16,
- The evil mastermind in this Murder Mystery is The Snake. His plan is so precise, so manipulative, so well planned out, that in three sentences he takes down all of humanity. How did he do it?
- He appealed to the three strongest fundamental impulses in humanity:
- The desires of the body. These are the things we want to feel. These impulses can lead to lust, gluttony, and addiction.
- Desires of the eyes. These are the things we want to have. This can lead to all kinds of sin: materialism, greed, coveting, and jealousy. Those sins then can lead to hatred, slander, murder, etc.
- The desire of what we want to be. These impulses can lead to arrogance, pride, and self-righteousness. Those sins can lead to rudeness, envy, gossip, hatred, and competitivism.
- These three fundamental impulses are what John calls “desires of the flesh, desires of the eyes, and the pride of life.” (1 John 2:16)
- These desires are not evil in and of themselves. However, when we try to satisfy these desires in the wrong way, it can get us into serious trouble.
- In order for us to withstand temptation, we must be able to understand how these impulses operate and how God desired for them to be fulfilled.
- We must know ourselves and know what impulses are operating. Often times we are trying to fight off a temptation and we don’t realize what the real impulse is.
- Jesus shows us how to fight off these temptations when He is tempted.
Announcements & Questions:
Be A Part Of Our Next Baptism Celebration
We will be celebrating baptism on Sunday 5/3. We want to invite you to be a part of the celebration too! To sign up, just write “baptism” on the back of your Connection Card. If you have been baptized, this is a great opportunity to volunteer to help out during the service. To volunteer, write “baptism volunteer” on the back of your Connection Card.
UNLEASHED, our Student Summer Mission Camp is June 22-26, when our middle and high school students will be serving our community. This local sleep-away camp will give students the opportunity to grow in their relationship with God, build lasting friendships, and earn up to 100 volunteer service hours! To register or find out more, visit www.unleashed.camp.
MEN: New Study in Galatians
We’re in the second week of study on the book of Galatians. Certainly not too late for you to join us! This is a great opportunity to get to know other guys and be encouraged for the week ahead.
AND NOW.... THE QUESTIONS...
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: With as many great adjectives as possible, describe your biggest food temptation
- READ: Genesis 3:1-6
- What do you think was the “craftiest” thing the snake did?
- What do you think most compelled Adam and Eve to eat the fruit?
- What do you think is the strongest form of desire:
1) what we want to feel
2) what we want to have
3) what we want to be
- What are the various types of sins that the desires of the body can lead to?
- What are the various types of sins that the desires of the eyes can lead to?
- What are the various types of sins that the desire to become can lead to?
- How is God the only One that can satisfy these desires?
- How can this knowledge help us combat temptation?