[vimeo 144988052 w=500 h=281]
Hello All You Incredible Community Group Leaders!
Two more weeks of community group for this season! Start making some social plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Online Missions Auction Please continue to support your West Pines Missions Teams by bidding on some great items from our online auction. We have everything from restaurant gift cards, to power tools and spa treatments. Go to biddingowl.com/westpines to start the fun! All proceeds go to the missions department for scholarships and project costs. All bidding ends midnight November 15th.
Habitat for Humanity is having a group volunteer day on December 5, 2015, to help build a home. The site will be in Broward county but exact address is to be determined. The time is from 745am-1230pm. Must arrive by 745am. They could use up to 10 volunteers. Please contact Patty Grinion directly at email@example.com / 727-688-3244
Sheridan House Thanksgiving Blessings Event is coming up on Saturday, November 21 from 9 am to 12 noon! The single moms will receive a turkey and all the fixings for a bountiful Thanksgiving meal. They will also get a chance to shop for free in our “Winter Clothing Boutique.” Volunteers arrive by 8:00 am (doors open for single moms at 9 a.m.) Volunteers should wear navy blue Sheridan House event staff shirt (with blue jeans or khaki slacks)
These are the areas of need:
Parking, Refreshments, Greeters/Guides, Registration, Clothing Boutique, Turkey and Food Bags Distribution, Turkey Tickets and Christmas Invitations, Package Carriers, Kid supervision (while moms shop) Photos, Tear-down – All volunteers who are able to stay a few extra minutes!
Here is your contact:
Single Parent Ministry
Sheridan House, 1700 S. Flamingo Road, Davie 33325
Main: (954) 583-1552
Direct Line: (954) 414-3392
Check out the Service Projects Tab for more opportunities
Survival Essentials, Part 1: Solitude
Topics: ( Not to be read in group.. this is for your review and recollection )
- Jesus was constantly bombarded with crowds. They were soaking up His teaching. They were pleading for healing. They would follow Him. They would press in on Him so much that there was often safety concerns. But Jesus had a custom.
- He would escape to a desolate place to pray.
- This is interesting. You might think that Jesus didn’t need to pray. He is, after all, God in the flesh. But this was not just an occasional part of Jesus’ life. It was His pattern.
- If we are wanting to be mathetes - followers of Jesus - this will be an absolutely essential part of our lives.
- We often give the excuse: I’m too busy. But the bottom line is, we make time for lots of things. It’s more about choices than a shortage of time. Jesus’ example trumps this. Most of us do not literally have crowds following us at all times so needy for more of us that we are nearly getting trampled. That was the case with Jesus, and He made it work.
- We often give another excuse, although this one is usually said subconsciously: I’m too needed. This is essentially saying, there are too many other things that I am doing that take priority. We think people need us, we can’t get away to pray. But Jesus is again the trump card. He actually is the Savior of the world. And He still took time to pray.
- Really our excuses are saying, time alone with God is not essential. But nothing could be further from the truth. Solitude with God is essential to survival as a mathetes. It is where we commune with the Being God. It is what takes us from merely engaging with the theory of God, to engaging the living Being of God.
- Here is the SOS of solitude:
- Make the SPACE. Carve out the time in your schedule and protect it.
- Know the OPTIONS. There are so many options of what to do in your time with God. Input: reading the Bible, reading books, listening to sermons. Output: praying, journaling, singing with worship music.
- Keep it SACRED. Keep it as a priority. Guard it fiercely.
- Need a refresher on how to study the Bible? Check out our How to Read the Bible for Dummies series.
- Need a refresher on how and why to Pray? Check out our Beast Mode series.
AND NOW.... THE QUESTIONS...
- HIGH/LOW: What was the high point of your week and the low point?
- ICEBREAKER: What is your ideal picture of alone time ?
- READ: Luke 5:12-16 12 While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy. And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” 13 And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately the leprosy left him. 14 And he charged him to tell no one, but “go and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for your cleansing, as Moses commanded, for a proof to them.”15 But now even more the report about him went abroad, and great crowds gathered to hear him and to be healed of their infirmities. 16 But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.
- Why do you think Jesus told the leper NOT to tell anyone what happened?
- In human terms what do you think it would be like to have the demands on you that Jesus did?
- Jesus is our Ultimate Example for life. What were some of His habits relative to this topic that we should emulate ?
- Recall the acronym for SOS relating to SOLITUDE.
- What are excuses we make for not prioritizing alone time with God?
- What is alone time with God a survival essential?
- Discuss : We have the privilege and opportunity to daily have a personal audience with God. Why would we not take full advantage of this?
- What are ways of personally connecting with God that have been effective for you in the past?
- How are you going to make space for that in your life this week?
- Are there some fresh ways of connecting with God that you are going to try?
Note : The following could be some good resources for your group... Consider including this in your e-mail when you send out the questions.
Need a refresher on how to study the Bible? Check out our How to Read the Bible for Dummies series.
Need a refresher on how and why to Pray? Check out our Beast Mode series.