Disaster Relief: go to www.westpines.org/relief for all of the details. Two (2) opportunities:
Praying Pelican Ministries. They are hosting a Medical Missions Trip to Puerto Rico in mid November and are looking for volunteers with medical experience.
Samaritan's Purse. They are hosting free daily flights from Fort Lauderdale to the Keys for any volunteers who are interested in going down to the Keys for cleanup and construction-like work! Flights leave Ft. Lauderdale daily at 6:30 am and return at 6:30 pm.
Week 5: Sincerity
Main Text: 1 Thessalonians 2:5
Please Use the questions from the STUDY GUIDE for this sermon series as the starting point for discussions.
Additional Discussion Questions
- Flattery is described as "empty, hollow, agenda-laden words." What agendas might cause someone to use flattery?
- In what sphere are you most susceptible to flattering others? What might your agenda be in those situations?
- "Keep the gratitude, honor, and encouragement, lose the flattery." Give examples of words of gratitude, words of honor, and words of encouragement.
- When is the hardest to use those words of gratitude, honor and encouragement. Should our words be predicated on the way others treat us?
- Proverbs 29:20 "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." How does this relate to the principles of this week's lesson?
Closing thought: Open to Genesis 1. Look at verses 3, 6, 9, 11, 14, and 24. What is common between all of them? "God said..." God created all that there is by speaking them into existence. In the same way, our words create worlds. This is most evident with our children - if we tell them Santa is real, then in their universe, he is real. We create their worlds with our words. That means whatever we tell them about themselves, either directly or indirectly, becomes reality for them. This is not only true of children, but also our spouse, our friends, our co-workers, and anyone else where our words contain influence.
This week, meditate on Genesis 1 and think about the fact that our words create worlds, and be mindful of this as we interact with those around us.
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.