Community Groups end November 18 as we take a break for Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Groups launch again on Jan. 21st, 2018.
Leader: Please remind your groups that you will be staying in touch with them over the break. I encourage you to plan a Christmas get together - so communicate details to them as soon as you can.
Week 8: Love
Main Text: 1 Thessalonians 2:7-12
Please Use the questions from the STUDY GUIDE for this sermon series as the starting point for discussions.
Additional Discussion Questions
- In verse 8 Paul writes that he and his companions "shared their lives" with the church at Thessalonica. What does sharing one's life mean to us as Christians today?
- "In leadership, competencies are always preferable, but love is never optional." Throughout history, there are numerous examples of leaders who have been effective without love (countless political leaders, industry leaders like Steve Jobs), do those examples conflict with this idea?
- Does the definition of success or effective change impact your answer?
- The gospel is described as a lens that focuses the way in which we view the world. What are some things that interfere with us seeing the world through the lens of the gospel?
- Paul and his companions' love for their movement was inferior to their love for people. Are there examples in society or your own life in which that might be true?
- Why is the example of a mother's love a perfect example of the type of love Paul expresses in these verses? One direction, sacrificial
- How is this example analogous to the gospel? We are like children...we have nothing to offer God in exchange for salvation.
Don't forget to post your attendance after group.